Carmen S. Mitchell (Partner)
Carmen Mitchell has been practicing law in Dallas, Texas for almost three decades and during that time has been active in the legal community in a wide variety of leadership roles. She has served on the District 6A Grievance Committee, she is a Past President of the Dallas Trial Lawyers Association and is Past President of the Dallas Chapter of the American Board of Trial Advocates.
Carmen is passionate about her clients and each and every family that she represents receives her complete meticulous attention. If Carmen can't give your case 100%, then she doesn't take your case. Her civil trial work covers a wide range of experience including catastrophic personal injury, wrongful death, construction accidents, pipeline explosions, truck wrecks, burn injuries, traumatic brain injury, sexual abuse, product liability, and business disputes.
- Ms. Mitchell has been recognized as a Texas Super Lawyer every year since its first publication began in 2003. A super lawyer designation is conferred upon the top five percent of attorneys in the state.
- Carmen has also been recognized by Texas Monthly as one of the top 50 female lawyers in Texas since 2006.
- She has been selected by her peers as one of the top hundred lawyers in all areas of practice in Dallas/Fort Worth since 2005.
- In 2010, Texas Monthly awarded her the honor of being one of the 100 Best Lawyers in the entire State of Texas.
- Carmen was also chosen as one of the 15 top personal injury lawyers in Dallas by D Magazine in 2009 and was recognized as one of the best female lawyers in North Texas in the arena of personal injury by D Magazine in 2010.
- Carmen was recently honored as one of the Best Lawyers in America publication which is a result of extensive and comprehensive evaluations of lawyers by other lawyers.
Carmen is a frequent lecturer on a wide range of legal education topics and has served as guest lecturer at Southern Methodist University Law School. In addition to authoring numerous articles on legal ethics and trial techniques, Carmen has been a frequent presenter at the Dallas Bar Association, Texas Trial Lawyers Association, and the State Bar of Texas.
Regardless of her many achievements, Carmen is most proud of her two sons, Justin, 14, and Jim, 21
- State Bar of Texas, 1982
- United States District Court, Northern District of Texas, 1983
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Texas, 1983
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, 1982
- University of Texas (B.A., cum laude, 1979);
- Texas Tech University (J.D., 1982). Delta Theta Phi. Member, The Order of Barristers. Finalist, Best Oral Team, American College of Trial Lawyers, National Moot Court Competition, 1982.
Organizations and Honors
- State Bar of Texas
- “Workers’ Compensation Annual Survey of Texas Law,” 42 Southwestern Law Journal 77, 1988
- “No More Free Rides,” 22 Trial Lawyers Forum No. 1, 1988
- “The Most Jealous Care: The Role of Guardian Ad Litem,” 9 Texas Personal Injury Law Reporter 1, 1992
Author and Guest Lecturer
- “Evacuation Safety and Liability Construction,” Society of American Engineers, 1991, 1993, 1995
- Advanced Personal Injury Seminar;
- Advanced Medical Malpractice Seminar;
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association;
- “Voir Dire Techniques,” 1994;
- “The Role of the Guardian Ad Litem in Litigation,” 1994, 1995, 1996;
- “It’s Not If It’s When, Avoiding Grievances,” 1994, 1995;
- “Icing the Deal, Settlement Traps that Maim,” 1997, 1998;
- “Representing the Minor or Incapacitated Plaintiff,” 1996;
- “School District Liability for Sexual Torts,” 1998.
Coauthor and Guest Lecturer
- “What’s Sex Got to Do With It?” An Overview of Civil Litigation Involving Sexual Torts, Presented at Texas State Bar Advanced Personal Injury Seminar, 1995, 1996;
- “Dirt - Where to Find It and How to Use It,” Texas State Bar Advanced Personal Injury Seminar, 2002, 2003;
- “Superstars-Spring Training,” Texas State Bar 2003;
- “The Role of the Guardian Ad Litem,” Judicial Section Annual Conference, 2003.
- Guest Lecturer, Advanced Torts, Southern Methodist University School of Law, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003.
- “Are You Safe? Are You Sure?” Equipment Construction World Magazine, August, 2001.